The following maps show the scope of works in each work package area.
- Two new platforms (15 & 16) at Southern Cross Station.
- New bridge deck over Dudley Street in West Melbourne.
- Laying of new track along 0.8 kilometres.
- New signalling system for the new regional tracks and modifications to the signalling system for the metropolitan rail tracks (not illustrated).
City - Maribyrnong River
- Reconfiguration of tracks to separate services and improve access for regional trains to platforms 1-8 at Southern Cross Station.
- A new twin track rail bridge over Dudley Street in West Melbourne.
- Extensive track reconfiguration and upgrades to the North Melbourne rail-over-rail flyover which will be used to access platforms 1-8 at Southern Cross Station.
- Additional V/Line train stabling.
- Major bridge modifications at Dynon Road and Lloyd Street, and works at Moonee Ponds Creek rail bridge.
- Construction of a new 1 kilometre bridge over the Maribyrnong River area including a rail flyover between the Maribyrnong River and Hopkins Street, Footscray.
- Laying of new track over 4.5 kilometres to separate metropolitan and regional trains.
- Localised replacement and upgrading of the signalling system from City – Maribyrnong River. (not illustrated).
Footscray - Deer Park
- Upgrades to Footscray station including new platforms adjacent to Irving Street, improved station entrance and forecourts incorporating escalators, ramps, lifts and stairs.
- Major bridge works at Hopkins Street, Nicholson Street, Albert Street, Victoria Street, Ashley Street and Stony Creek.
- Rebuild of West Footscray station, including ramps, lifts and stairs.
- Improvements to the entrance, forecourt and an additional 100 car parking spaces at Tottenham station.
- Laying of new track over 7.5 kilometres from Footscray to Sunshine.
- A major upgrade to Sunshine station including a new platform and pedestrian overpass, improved station entrance, ramps and forecourts, lifts and stairs.
- Replacement of HV McKay Memorial Gardens footbridge.
- Removal of two level crossings at Anderson Road.
- Upgrading of existing pedestrian crossings at Sydney Street, Adelaide Street, Young Street and Tower Street.
- Improvement works to level crossings at Fitzgerald Road (Ardeer), Mt Derrimut Road and Robinsons Road (Deer Park).
- Modifications to the metropolitan signalling system from Footscray to Sunshine (not illustrated).
Deer Park - West Werribee Junction
- New track over 26 kilometres from Deer Park to West Werribee Junction.
- No new level crossings with 12 road over rail bridges.
- Four major structures at Werribee River, Lollipop Creek, Skeleton Creek and Davis Creek.
- Two new stations at Wyndham Vale and Tarneit with lifts, ramps and stairs.
- A full depth cutting over 2 kilometres through Wyndham Vale.
- 34 new waterway crossings / drainage structures (pink lines).
- Extension of Christies Road, and construction of Armstrong Road (orange dashed line).
- Civil works for signalling (not illustrated).
West Werribee Junction
- Two new dedicated regional tracks over 2.5 kilometres connecting the existing Geelong line to Regional Rail Link.
- A new rail bridge over the existing broad gauge and standard gauge tracks and Bulban Road.
- Realignment of Bulban Road to accommodate the new rail bridge.
- Service and fibre optic cable relocations, as well as drainage and landscaping works.
- Slewing of the existing broad gauge (V/Line) tracks.
- Signalling civil works(not illustrated).
- Modification of existing Metro and V/Line train control systems. (spanning the entire RRL corridor).
- Creation of a new train control system and new generation computer based signalling system for the Regional Rail Link tracks.
- Installation of approximately 36 kilometres of fibre optic cable to support the new train control systems. (spanning the entire RRL corridor).
- Passenger information systems at new and substantially modified stations including:
- West Footscray
- Wyndham Vale