Regional Rail Link
Regional Rail Link has separated metropolitan and regional services through Melbourne's west by giving Geelong, Bendigo and Ballarat trains their own dedicated tracks through the metropolitan system from Sunshine to Southern Cross Station.
Key features include:
- construction of new track from west of Werribee to Deer Park and between Sunshine to Southern Cross Station
- two new platforms at Southern Cross Station
- new stations for Wyndham Vale and Tarneit
- a new station at West Footscray, a major upgrade to Footscray station and a rebuilt Sunshine railway station
- the removal of two level crossings at Anderson Road, Sunshine
- 13 road and rail grade separations through Wyndham Vale and Tarneit
- a new rail bridge over the Maribyrnong River
As well as improving existing services, Regional Rail Link lays the foundations for future expansion of the rail network to meet the needs of Victoria's growing population.
The project was completed on 21 June 2015 when Geelong line trains began using the new track through Wyndham Vale and Tarneit.
For timetables and to plan your journey visit the Public Transport Victoria website.
The Regional Rail Link project was the winner of the Australian Construction Achievement Award 2015 and Infrastructure Project of the Year 2014, as well as receiving the Premier's Sustainability Award in 2014, and an IABC Gold Quill award for Community Relations in 2015.